Tuesday 29 December 2009

Drug smuggler executed


Akmal Shaikh


I have been watching with interest the story of Akmal Shaikh, the Pakistani who smuggled 4,030 grammes of heroin into China.

Four kilos of heroin; that’s enough to cause 26,800 deaths.

This morning, Akmal was executed by lethal injection and buried immediately.

According to his family, and of course all the newspapers, Shaikh was bipolar and therefore not responsible for his actions.

If you are bipolar you suffer bouts of depression followed by bouts of elation, with normality in between. You are fully aware of your actions and this I why I support China’s decision to carry out the execution.

I would like to know if Shaikh gave the names of those who asked him to carry these drugs. If he didn’t, it proves he knew exactly what he was doing and it is one more reason for his sentence to be carried out.

According to the Chinese embassy in London, Shaikh had ‘no previous medical record’ of mental illness and that his rights and interests had been properly respected.

Davivd Milliband, the British Foreign Secretary said: ‘The UK is completely opposed to the use of the death penalty in all circumstances’

I’m sorry to tell you this, David, but you do not speak for the whole of the UK and you certainly don’t speak for me.

One look at the comments in today’s newspapers prove that. This morning’s poll showed that 63% agreed with China’s decision.

As usual, our Government can’t keep their nose out of other countries business; gormless Gordon is appalled at the outcome and leads condemnation of the execution ‘in the strongest terms‘.

Jiang Yu, the Chinese Foreign minister said:

‘Britain’s robust response risked souring diplomatic relations. No one has the right to comment on china’s judicial sovereignty.

It is the common wish of people around the world to strike against the crime of drug trafficking and we express our strong dissatisfaction and opposition to the British Governments unreasonable criticism of the case.

We urge the British to correct their mistake in order to avid harming China-UK relations.’


When are our ‘leaders’ going to learn that we have no right to tell other countries what to do?

And what was Pakistan’s stance in all this? After all, Shaikh was Pakistani, not, as the newspapers say, British.

The following is a comment from the Daily Mail which I think sums it up nicely:

Being a recovering addict I know only too well what people are prepared to do to acquire this pernicious drug. I fully understand that I am in the position I am in now as a result of my own misguided actions. Along the way I have lost a lot of friends and credibility. Thankfully my family and some friends have stood by me, (despite abusing this support on numerous occasions). I have now been clean for two and a half years and still everyday is a struggle. Now with regard to Akmal Shaikh. As a sufferer of bi-polar disorder myself, I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. He deserves to reap what he has sown and at least the 4kg of heroin was kept off the streets and hopefully some people may have been spared a lifetime of addiction and crime as a result of not being introduced to Heroin. Finally, I am also concerned that through first hand experience a lot of the drugs in this country are supplied from a certain section of the community who believe the majority are morally devoid. - Dean, Blackburn, 28/12/2009 14:27


Digg!

No comments:

All material published on these pages represents the personal views of the DERBY PATRIOT and should not be taken to represent any political party.